Sources of Graphics Files
Among the websites offering general Backgrounds,
Icons, Clip Art, GIF Animations, JPG Photos and movies,
BMP Desktop Themes, and other graphics files listed by
About.com guide Bobbie Peachey and others:
- ArtToday claims 1.5 million images for $8 per week.
- GifArt for $40 per year offers 25,000 images.
- Broderbund has, for $29, 100,000 gif/jpg and 150,000 lower resolution pix.
- Graphic Maps has paid and free art.
- sxc.hu swap
- Microsoft's Design Gallery Live
- CoolText generates
custom text and buttons right in front of your eyes!
WebFX graphics effects generator, like the now retired Imaging Machine - Create interlaced and transparent gifs, etc.
Windy's Fashionable Page Designs has 3D art, borders, and Wingdings turned into 3D images.
Andy Evens has elegant 3D high-tech buttons in his subscription "vault".
He also has a great list of links.
The Clip Art Collection,
Barry's Clip Art Server,
The Icon Bank,
Zeldman offers free icons, mostly faces colored blue, purple, etc.
Kodak offers JPG photo files.
Bells 'n Whistles has FREE Windows and MacIntosh HTML editors, Java
applets with source code, Counters, and CGI scripts.
- GIF files come with QuickSite software to build sites.
Alexander Chislenko's collection of the best web resources - A collection of most intelligent and
interesting organizations, people, mailing lists, web services, humor, news sources and other
things on the Web.
Background & Texture World royalty free web page textures & backgrounds. GIF and JPG formats. (... presented with ads one at a time)
Leo's Icon Archive
There are several concerns to keep in mind when you use pictures saved from other websites:
- Most images are copyrighted. The owner of an image can come to you years in the future and sue you for a percentage of the income from your site, plus lawyer fees.
- Get written permission from "free" websites. They may change their policies after you begin to use their image.
- Images slow down the page opening. Most first time visitors won't wait more than 2 seconds.
- Clear your browser cache before doing timing tests.
- If there are any nipples or genitalia showing (even on paintings), your entire site will be rated as having
or even "pornographic" and will be blocked by many search engines.